To what extent, if any, does the existence of death give meaning to life? How would you feel about yourself and others if you learned that you would die tomorrow?
Death gives a lot of meaning to life. Almost everyone wants to leave some sort of mark on this Earth before they leave; how they go about doing that varies greatly however. But knowing that one day you will die leaves you knowing that you only have a limited time to accomplish what you are striving to achieve. Since you die, you have to get to work to achieve what you want to achieve fairly early. Death does not wait around for anybody, so it's either get busy living or get busy dying. I do not know what death has in store for me, so I only have eighty or so years to become what I want people to remember me as. If I were to die tomorrow, I can honestly say I would be ashamed. I didn't spend enough time on task, I spent most of it being a sloth. I understand that I've only had 18 1/2 years here so far, but I haven't reached my full potential. I'm pretty sure I'll still be alive tomorrow, however, so I have time to turn things around before I die. I need to seize more opportunities, be more kind, etc. There's no better way to evaluate who you are and what you want to do than by looking at death.
I don't mind if you use these questions to get your brain going, but you need to relate it to the book at some point. If you don't, you could be slithering your way through these blogs without them serving their intended purpose: a deeper analysis of the text.
ReplyDelete